Thursday, June 11, 2009

Experimental Drawing...Day 4

sketchbook of initial drawings and proposed color palette

We remained in the studio today as the rain came tumbling down. Our assignment: a portrait in pastels. Our task was to create a portrait of a family member, close friend or self-portrait. The drawing was to be large (22" x 30") and was to include the image of the person plus an object which represented the person depicted. We were instructed to portray the face in subjective (expressive, emotional) rather than objective colors(based on observation).

In anticipation of drawing, we were asked to answer the following questions:
1. Who is the person? What is her relationship to you?

2. Is your knowledge first-hand, or is it based on information passed down through your family?
3. What characteristics of the person do you intend to express in your drawing? Are there aspects of your relationship to/with the person you would like to deal with in the drawing?
We were then asked to list 5 qualities, characteristics, or impressions of the person and/or your relationship to them. Next, we were to assign a color that we thought was associated with the characteristic.
Most of my classmates decided on a self-portrait, but for several years have not relished the idea of looking at myself in a mirror. Instead, I opted for a photo of Ginger, Amy, and me at a sorority formal in 1976. I had recently found the photo in a box of college memorabilia in my attic. I tucked the photo into my journal and carried it to Arrowmont. And so, I drew Ginger. She was breath-taking. I didn't capture her beauty, but I tried to tap into her essence. Pastels and portraits were an entirely new experience for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment