Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Arrowmont School


Susan Davidoff
December Diary, Japanese Aralia No. 2, 2003

Early on Sunday morning, I will depart Durham on my annual pilgrimage to Arrowmont School in Gatlinburg, TN. I make the trek to Arrowmont each year to take an art class that offers something new and different as a way of inspiring my own art. The class I've selected this year is an Experimental Drawing class taught by Susan Davidoff.

Susan Davidoff is a native El Pasoan who attended the University of Texas at El Paso (BFA) and New Mexico State University (MA & MFA). Her drawings, paintings and prints have been exhibited widely throughout the United States and Mexico and are included in the Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York. Davidoff's work explores the intricate patterns of nature and the relationships of botanical shapes.

I will spend the week hiking and drawing in the mountains, collecting plants and mosses as subject matter. Susan will introduce us to the idea of using natural pigments from the materials gathered on the hikes, rubbing them into the surface of our drawings.

I can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment