Sunday, March 23, 2008

Lemons


Renee launches a lemon towards Jackson's monument


The lemon lands safely next to the monument. Note the elaborate pen and ink decoration on the lemon!



Jackson thought of a lemon as a "rare treat ... enjoyed greatly whenever it could obtained from the enemy's camp." Renee and I learned this fascinating bit of trivia on our recent spring break trip to Lexington. We left lemons for Jackson and also learned of similar gifts of fruit left at the headstone of "Traveler," General Lee's beloved horse, buried outside of the Lee Chapel at W & L. Note to self: next trip, bring an apple for Traveler! I so thoroughly enjoyed my trip to Lexington three weeks ago to see college friends/roomates that I decided to return with my daughter who has a love for American history. Loved it once again...

2 comments:

  1. So glad you had a good time! Question: is it tradition to hurl lemons at the statue, or your idea? Either way, I love it. Maybe you'll start something?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both! When I visited with college friends, there were several lemons on the ground around the monument. Renee introduced the "hurling technique." Marlyn has her training with a medicine ball for the shot put this spring...

    ReplyDelete